- About us
- Services for Australians
- About Australia
- Doing business with Australia
- Travelling to Australia
- Visas and migration
- Relations with the EU
- Relations with Belgium
- Relations with Luxembourg
- Relations with NATO
- Education and Research
- Travel advice
- Register with us
The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service is responsible for:
• preventing the illegal movement of people across Australia’s border;
• regulating the movement of prohibited and restricted goods – such as drugs, firearms and weapons;
• processing international passengers and crew arriving into and departing from Australia by air or sea;
• processing international cargo and mail arriving into and leaving Australia by air and sea;
• collecting duties and taxes on imported goods;
• collecting trade statistics.
Penalties apply if prohibited items are not declared. Australian Customs and Border Protection recommend that you seek relevant information in order to ensure that you will comply with Customs legislative requirements.
As a general rule to follow if you are unsure about an item, declare it.
The following links provide useful information if you are:
- travelling to Australia (with i.e. cash/currency, medicines, protected wildlife) and on your duty-free concessions (i.e. alcohol, tobacco)
For further information about importing medications, please contact the Therapeutic Goods Administration
- sending goods by post to family and friends
- importing prohibited and restricted goods (i.e. antibiotics, drugs and narcotics, therapeutic drugs and substances, firearms and ammunition, knives and daggers, weapons)
- sending your personal and household effects
The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service is a member of the World Customs Organization (WCO) that promotes international co-operation in customs matters.
For further information about the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, please visit the Customs and Border Protection website:
or send us an e-mail.
Phone: + 32 2 286 05 84
Fax: + 32 2 230 20 22